With unemployment rates skyrocketing in the past weeks, it would seem as though right now is not the time to be considering new careers. That’s simply not the case. Yes, some companies are taking necessary steps and engaging in short term cost cutting measures. However, companies that are forward thinking, proactive and growth oriented are looking toward the future. These companies are taking this time to invest in human capital for the long term so that after this pandemic, it comes out stronger than it went in and more prepared. These “A” companies are the ones that top professionals strive to have a career with. With everything happening, it does mean that the market has become more competitive. Below are some tips for both companies and job seekers during this time:
- Video Conferencing: Phone screens haven’t been interrupted and neither do face-to-face interviews. Utilize online tools such as GoToMeetings, Teams and Zoom to further the interview process.
- Scheduling: Scheduling time for prospects to meet with key-decision makers is easier now that travel is reduced, and people are more accessible.
- Search Partners: Many companies are pivoting its focus on how to operate during COVID-19 – whether that is business process or other HR responsibilities such as benefits. Utilize a search partner who has a pulse on the industry to help find talent for positions that you need.
- Network: Even though we have to practice social distancing, we can still connect virtually. It’s a perfect time to make authentic connections and revive old ones.
- Quality over Quantity: There are only a handful of jobs that people are truly qualified for. Instead of applying for every job that pops up, take this downtime to craft a personalized approach for each job.
- Search Partners: Haven’t had any luck yourself? Maybe consider adding an executive search partner to your list of people to connect with. Maybe they don’t have a good fit for you now but making that connection now will help you down the road.
During any crisis, it’s normal to consider stalling your hunt for the top talent you need or for the next career you want. However, there is still great talent out there looking and companies that need people to ease problems and crack trying challengers. Don’t pump the breaks now!
For additional information, please email Chris Hillman or call (815) 261-4403 x 100